About the Trust
- A&E Agency is delighted to share with you a Substantive opportunity for a Consultant in Emergency Medicine. The salary band for this position is £79860- £107668 on a 10 PA contract.
- The Emergency Department at the Hospital is an extremely busy department with a workload that is typical of a major urban centre. There are currently approximately 95,000 new attendances per year with follow up via a clinic or ENP review seeing approximately 2,000 patients per year.
- A wide spectrum of Emergency work is dealt with, including Acute Medical, Surgical, Orthopaedic, ENT and Psychiatric emergencies and the Trust is accredited as a Trauma Unit. The initial management of all patients is in the hands of the Emergency Department staff, but all the acute specialities provide in reach services to the department. Many of the patients requiring short-term acute treatment are managed on the Emergency Observation ward, which are adjacent to the Emergency Department. These patients remain under the care of the Emergency Department Consultants. There are excellent working relationships with the Acute and Stroke Physicians, Cardiology, Infectious Disease and the Spinal Team to name but a few and staff are focused on working together to deliver high quality patient care.
- Clinical Commitments: The successful candidate will, together with the present consultants, share the responsibility for the reception, resuscitation, diagnosis and initial treatment of all patients attending the Emergency Department. This work includes late shifts weekly, non-resident on-call and contribution to weekend cover. Appropriate arrangements for continuing care of these patients will be made in conjunction with hospital and community colleagues. He/she will share administrative responsibilities for the Emergency Observation Ward area with the present Consultants and may use the beds for his/her patients. The Consultants have responsibility for the clinical care of most patients requiring observation for head injury, deliberate self-harm, mild – moderate acute asthma, seizure disorders and other conditions in which short term management (less than 36 hours) is appropriate. The appointee will have facilities for outpatient follow up of patients in the Review Clinic or the Ambulatory Care Clinic.
- Administration: The successful candidate will share responsibility for maintaining adequate junior staff cover in the Emergency Department by helping with the supervision of the medical staff rota. He/she will also share responsibility for the direct clinical supervision of junior medical and nursing staff .
Skills and Experience required for this role
- MBBS (or equivalent) and FCEM (or equivalent) qualification
- Full registration (and a license to practice) with the General Medical Council (GMC).
- Holder of Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) in Emergency Medicine or within six months of award of CCT by date of interview.
- Teaching or training qualifications
- Experience in Emergency Medicine; both in adults and children
- Special interest in a subspecialty of Emergency Medicine – for instance ,Risk Management, Acute Medicine or Paediatrics
- Good leadership & organizational skills
- Flexibility to fit with service requirements & ability to work in a team
- Honesty, reliability and good personal organization skills
- Caring attitude to patients and those close to them
- Ability to negotiate for services & funding with other relevant parties
- Interest in future research
- Ability to manage personnel issues sensitively
What happens next?
- If you fulfill the above listed requirements for the role then please apply and a member of our A&E Agency team will be in contact with you shortly.