About the Trust
- NHS Dumfries and Galloway serves a population of over 140,000 within a large geographical area of over 2,000 square miles. The Health Board employs around 4500 staff excluding GPs and Dentists.
- The successful applicants will join a team which comprises of three consultants, a speciality doctor, a rotating middle grader, 2.5 (wte) diabetes specialist nurses, 3.5 community diabetes specialist nurses, 4 specialist dieticians to the further development of an established and progressive multidisciplinary service.
- This position offers an exciting opportunity, working closely with excellent GPs, to play a major role in the delivery of a full range of diabetes care in the region and it is hoped that this additional resource will allow the delivery of in-patient diabetes services to be enhanced.
- The medical unit includes an 18 bedded critical care unit and a 40 bed Medical Admission Unit. A full range of diabetes services is provided, including DAFNE and DESMOND education programmes, an insulin pump service, a multidisciplinary foot clinic, a multidisciplinary ANC clinic, a combined renal diabetes clinic and transitional diabetes service Weekly Endocrine clinics including all endocrine conditions are held and supported by nurse-led endocrine testing. The post holder will be expected to participate in acute medical receiving.
- There is a hospital wide weekly educational programme and suitable time will be allowed for CPD. The region has a Managed Clinical Network for Diabetes. Medical students rotate regularly from Glasgow and Edinburgh through the unit. Our “foundation years” links are with West of Scotland hospitals. There is an energetically active Research and Development support unit on site.
Skills and Experience required for this role
- Primary Medical Qualification.
- GMC Registered with Licence to Practice
- Entry onto the GMC Specialist Register (within 6 months from the date of the AAC). in diabetes +/-
endocrinology as well as general medicine
- Appropriate Royal College Membership
- Wide general experience in all aspects of general medicine, diabetes/thyroid disease.
- Evidence of a substantial commitment to the specialty.
- Whole spectrum relevant to all aspects (out and in-patients) of diabetes care/General Medicine.
- Basic endocrinology
- Ability to offer an expert clinical opinion within the speciality.
- Ability to take independent responsibility for the clinical care of patients referred to a tertiary centre.
- Able to take full responsibility for secondary diabetic care and participate in the managed clinical network
- Able to liaise effectively with colleagues in other centres, in primary and secondary care
What happens next?
- If you fulfill the above listed requirements for the role then please apply and a member of our A&E Agency team will be in contact with you shortly.