About the Trust
- A&E Agency is delighted to share with you a permanent opportunity to work as a Consultant in Stroke Medicine for a NHS teaching hospital in North-West England.
- There are approximately 550 acute stroke patients admitted annually.
- The combined stroke unit has a total of 39 beds (15 acute and 24 rehabilitation) situated in a newly developed unit in close proximity to Radiology.
- The stroke unit is currently staffed by 3 WTE consultants supported by 1 specialty doctor (this will be
increased to 2 shortly) and 4 junior doctors. There is a team of specialist stroke nurses and multidisciplinary team support from physiotherapists, occupational therapists, speech and language
therapists and dietitians.
- There is an effective Early Supported Discharge Team which is led by
Occupational Therapy and provides on-going community rehabilitation for stroke survivors
- Commitments of this post include responsibility for inpatient care of acute and rehabilitation
stroke patients; rapid access TIA patient assessment / clinics; outpatient clinics
and on-call for the regional telestroke thrombolysis service – currently 1:16 rota.
- In-patient stroke services include providing support (when required) to the stroke nurses attending A&E.
Potential thrombolysis patients are accompanied by the stroke nurse to the CT scanner and from there
onto the Stroke Unit where intravenous thrombolysis is administered after assessment by the stroke
- There are daily consultant ward rounds of the 15 acute stroke patients. There are 2 MDT
meetings per week – 1 for the rehabilitation patients (Wednesday morning) and 1 for the acute patients
Skills and Experience required for this role
- Should have MRCP
- Be on the General Medical Council’s Specialist Register or within six months of completing a Training Programme recognised for the award of a Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT).
In return the trust can offer you the following?
- You and your clinical manager will agree a prospective Job Plan that sets out your main duties and
responsibilities, a schedule for carrying out your Programmed Activities, your managerial
responsibilities, your accountability arrangements, your objectives and supporting resources
- Very attractive relocation package.
What happens next?
- If you fulfill the above listed requirements for the role then please apply and a member of our A&E Agency team will be in contact with you shortly