- The Middle Grade Staff, together with the Senior House Officers, are responsible for the initial
management of all patients presenting in the Accident & Emergency Department. This involves taking the
history, carrying out an examination, appropriate investigations and the provision of appropriate
treatment, including wound management, reduction of fractures and dislocations, plastering and
- The accent is the provision of an accurate diagnosis and the initiation of correct definitive treatment at the
first attendance in order to keep the number of follow up attendances to a minimum. To this end, the
Middle Grade Staff will spend substantially, on a rotation, the whole of their working week on the shop
floor, dealing personally with patients and providing advice and support for Senior House Officers and
the nursing staff. Additionally, when necessary they will do ward rounds on the Observation Ward and
help with Review Clinics.
- There are four Review Clinics in the Accident & Emergency Department and one Fracture Clinic in the
outpatient department It is foreseen that the Staff Grade, depending on training, will help with all of these
activities when required.
- The Observation Ward is established it is also expected that all Staff Grades will help the Consultants with ward rounds and requirements of the facility. Flexibility is paramount. Other duties may include:
X-ray reviewing and departmental audit
Organisation of the department to facilitate routine flow of patients as required.
Full liaison about patients with senior A & E colleagues
Skills and Experience required for this position
- Primary Medical Qualification.
- GMC Registered with Licence to Practice
- Appropriate Royal College Membership
- Experience of ensuring patient safety & person centred approach
- 4+ years min postgraduate experience in Emergency Medicine
- Organisational awareness
- Ability to make decisions
- Apply knowledge and evidence
- Ability to improve services through change
- Experience of teaching and training Undergraduate/ Postgraduate and Junior Medical Staff
What happens next?
- If you fulfill the above listed requirements for the role then please apply and a member of our A&E Agency team will be in contact with you shortly